Holidays are there to get away! The TV is off and you experience everything’s live.
During the school holidays, the Schwangau Tourist Information organizes a program full of fantastic activities for children of all ages.
A range of activities such as inline skating, fun bike ride or family carriages rides guarantees fun for everyone, and there’s plenty to learn. For example, you can visit the Museum of the Bavarian Family to learn all about the princes and princesses from Bavaria.
Join Alois through the Museum of the Bavarian Kings
Had a royal prince toys? Did a king have a last name? Had King Ludwig II. brothers or sisters?
Within the riddle "Join Alois through the Museum" you will get the answers to this questions. Alois is an extraordinary lion, because of his blue mane and his golden crown. Alois and his sister Luisa will join you within the riddle through the exhibition rooms of the Museum of the Bavarian Kings.
At the begining of the exhibition you get a riddle sheet, a pencil box and a golden crown. The exhibition rooms of the Museum are filled with valuable objects, which where owned by the kings or the queens of former times. Between all these valuable things you will find signs, on which Alois and Luisa show you where you will find the right answers to the questions on your riddle sheet. If you find the right answer you can connect the answers on the sheet with each other and a picture appears.
You can buy a riddle sheet at the cashier desk of the Museum (€ 3,00). The riddle "Join Alois through the Museum" is not time bound. A reservation is not necessary. Please bring your parents or grandparents with you. They will get an audio-guide at our cashier desk. Audio-guides are included in the entrance fee.
Curious? Please come to the Museum of the Bavarian kings.
We are looking forward to your visit.
Children (until 18 years of age): free of charge
Riddle sheet: € 3,00 (including a pencil box and a crown)
The riddle sheet is available in the following languages: German, English, French, Spanish and Portuguese.
For further information, please contact: Tel. +49 8362/ 887 250 or visit the Museum's homepage.
Tips for visiting Neuschwanstein Castle with children
- Neuschwanstein Castle can only be visited within a guided tour at a fixed admission time. Regular tickets and combination tickets for adults and children are available on the official online ticket store.
- The best time to visit the castle with children is in the morning. We recommend to reserve tickets in advance for the earlier tours. Click here to buy your tickets online.
- Get on time to the Neuschwanstein castle. You can reach the castle by shuttle-bus, by horse-drawn carriage or on foot (approx. 40 minutes). Please note, that during all holidays and specially during the summer months and around Christmas / New Year, there are considerable waiting times at the bus-stops and carriage-stops. Therefore, you have to calculate enough time for possible queues at the departure-stops. We recommend to get the castle one hour before your admission time, therefore you will have enough time to explore the beautiful area around the castle or even visit the Mary’s bridge.
Families with strollers or toddlers should consider taking the shuttle bus or horse carriage to reach the castle. Every normal sized, foldable stroller can be loaded into the compartment on the back of the horse carriages. The walk from the village all the way up to the Neuschwanstein castle takes about 40 minutes. The path (signed at the local map) up to the castle is paved, however the hills can be steep.
Even if you take the shuttle bus or the carriage, please note that there is still a 10 minute, steep walk from the drop-off location to the Neschwanstein castle. The strollers are not allowed inside of the castle, but can be left at the information center in the castle courtyard.
- Before going to the guided tour, you can use the restroom at the entrance to the castle’s courtyard, and use the lockers which are also available for all castle visitors.
- Please note that during the tour there are many narrow and winding stairs (over 160 steps) and a long walk through the castle. Please be prepared to carry younger children. Due to safety reasons and limited space it's not permitted to bring strollers, buggies or carriers into the castle . You can only bring your children’s strollers/buggy into the castle courtyards. You can find a designated room to store your stroller for the duration of your visit.
- For some fun: Check out the Children’s page on the Neuschwanstein webseite and get a kit for making your own royal crown, download a memory game to play and puzzles with pictures from Neuschwanstein.
We also recommend …
Alpsee hiking path
It is a popular hiking trail with a length of about 5.2 km. The hike takes about one and a half hours. It is an idyllic hiking trail around the Alpsee - the favorite lake of King Ludwig II - and one of the cleanest lakes in Bavaria. The Alpsee is embedded in the wooded mountain landscape, directly under the two royal castles Hohenschwangau and Neuschwanstein.
The Alpsee hiking path is an easy trail, which is also recommended for families with smaller children, but unfortunately not pram suitable. The circular route offers numerous benches to rest and to enjoy the fantastic views of the crystal-clear lake and the royal castles.
You can end your walk around the Alpsee with a refreshing dip in the Alpseebad (bath), or rent a boat at the Alpsee boathouse. Worthwhile is also a visit to the Museum of the Bavarian Kings.
Boat house at the Alpsee lake
Rent a rowing boot or pedal boat on the lake “Alpsee” and experience the royal castles from water side and explore the favorite lake of King Ludwig's II with beathtaking views to the royal castles and its surrounding nature.
Price per 30 minutes boat rental for max. 4 persons: € 15,-
Life jackets are available in different sizes and are included in the rental price.
From May until October
Only by good weather conditions: from 10:00 a.m. until 07:00 p.m.
Phone: +49 (0)08362 - 8782
The municipality of Schwangau has four different playgrounds which certainly offer lots of fun for the little ones. Your children can enjoy the following playgrounds nearby:
- Playground at the Tegelberg (2,8 Km from Hohenschwangau)
Address: Tegelbergstrasse 29, 87645 Schwangau
- Playground Dorfweiher (2,7 Km from Hohenschwangau)
Address: Hieblerstrasse 18, 87645 Schwangau
- Playground in the Kurpark (3,5 Km from Hohenschwangau)
Address: Am Ehberg 10, 87645 Schwangau
- Playground Bannwaldsee (4,8 Km from Hohenschwangau)
Address: Münchener Str. 151, 87645 Schwangau
The Summer Toboggan Run: let's go!
The summer toboggan run with a length of over 2200 feet running along the bottom of Tegelberg mountain. It is tons of fun for you and your kids, friends and relatives.
How will be fastest on the way down?
Enjoy your wild run. Enjoy the wind in your face. And the enjoy the magnificent view over the Ostallgäu countryside.
And when you reach the end of the run there is even more to do. A scooter track, playground, restaurant and Roman excavations guarantee a day full of activities.
The weather permitting, the summer toboggan run is open (from March/April until Sept./Oct.)
daily between 10:00 am and 6:00 pm.