Holidays are there to get away! The TV is off and you experience everything’s live.
During the school holidays, the Schwangau Tourist Information organizes a program full of fantastic activities for children of all ages.
A range of activities such as inline skating, fun bike ride or family carriages rides guarantees fun for everyone, and there’s plenty to learn. For example, you can visit the Museum of the Bavarian Family to learn all about the princes and princesses from Bavaria.
Our Bavarian lion Alois accompanies you through the exhibition of the Museum of Bavarian Kings.
On the way through the rooms you will always find signs that contain capital letters, which correspond to the questions on your riddle sheet.
The solutions can be found near the signs. Tick the correct answer on your riddle sheet and connect the numbers together. This is how the solution pictures gradually emerges.
The riddle sheet is available in the following languages: German, English, French, Spanish and Portuguese.
Riddle sheet: € 3,00 / Crown: € 1,50.
For further information, please contact: Tel. 08362/ 887 250
Tips for visiting Neuschwanstein Castle with children
- Neuschwanstein Castle can only be visited within a guided tour at a fixed admission time. Regular tickets for adults and children are available on the official online ticket store. Tickets with reduced tariffs and free tickets for beneficiaries are only available in the Ticket Center Hohenschwangau.
- Ticket price: Adults 13,- Euros; Children under 18 years accompanied by their parents are free of charge; Service fee Online Shop € 2,50 per Ticket.
- The best time to visit the castle with children is in the morning. We recommend to reserve tickets in advance for the earlier tours. Click here to buy your tickets online.
- Get on time to the Neuschwanstein castle. You can reach the castle by shuttle-bus, by horse-drawn carriage or on foot (approx. 40 minutes). Please note, that during all holidays and specially during the summer months and around Christmas / New Year, there are considerable waiting times at the bus-stops and carriage-stops. Therefore, you have to calculate enough time for possible queues at the departure-stops. We recommend to get the castle one hour before your admission time, therefore you will have enough time to explore the beautiful area around the castle or even visit the Mary’s bridge.
Families with strollers or toddlers should consider taking the shuttle bus or horse carriage to reach the castle. Every normal sized, foldable stroller can be loaded into the compartment on the back of the horse carriages. The walk from the village all the way up to the Neuschwanstein castle takes about 40 minutes. The path (signed at the local map) up to the castle is paved, however the hills can be steep.
Even if you take the shuttle bus or the carriage, please note that there is still a 10 minute, steep walk from the drop-off location to the Neschwanstein castle. The strollers are not allowed inside of the castle, but can be left at the information center in the castle courtyard.
- Before going to the guided tour, you can use the restroom at the entrance to the castle’s courtyard, and use the lockers which are also available for all castle visitors.
- Please note that during the tour there are many narrow and winding stairs (over 160 steps) and a long walk through the castle. Please be prepared to carry younger children. Due to safety reasons and limited space it's not permitted to bring strollers, buggies or carriers into the castle . You can only bring your children’s strollers/buggy into the castle courtyards. You can find a designated room to store your stroller for the duration of your visit.
- For some fun: Check out the Children’s page on the Neuschwanstein webseite and get a kit for making your own royal crown, download a memory game to play and puzzles with pictures from Neuschwanstein.
The municipality of Schwangau has four different playgrounds which certainly offer lots of fun for the little ones. Your children can enjoy the following playgrounds nearby:
- Playground at the Tegelberg (2,8 Km from Hohenschwangau)
Address: Tegelbergstrasse 29, 87645 Schwangau
- Playground Dorfweiher (2,7 Km from Hohenschwangau)
Address: Hieblerstrasse 18, 87645 Schwangau
- Playground in the Kurpark (3,5 Km from Hohenschwangau)
Address: Am Ehberg 10, 87645 Schwangau
- Playground Bannwaldsee (4,8 Km from Hohenschwangau)
Address: Münchener Str. 151, 87645 Schwangau
The Summer Toboggan Run: let's go!
The summer toboggan run with a length of over 2200 feet running along the bottom of Tegelberg mountain. It is tons of fun for you and your kids, friends and relatives.
How will be fastest on the way down?
Enjoy your wild run. Enjoy the wind in your face. And the enjoy the magnificent view over the Ostallgäu countryside.
And when you reach the end of the run there is even more to do. A scooter track, playground, restaurant and Roman excavations guarantee a day full of activities.
The weather permitting, the summer toboggan run is open (from March/April until Sept./Oct.)
daily between 10:00 am and 6:00 pm.