The fairytale castle of King Ludwig II.
Neuschwanstein was built for the Bavarian king Ludwig II (1845 - 1886); it was begun in 1868 but never fully completed. The king saw his castle as a monument to the culture and concept of monarchy prevailing in the Middle Ages, which he greatly admired and wanted to recreate. Built and furnished in medieval styles but equipped with the latest technology of the day, it is the most famous historicist building in the world.
© Bayerische Schlösserverwaltung
Guided tours of Neuschwanstein castle
Visits are only possible within a guided tour with limited capacity. The guided tour takes about 30 minutes.
For wheelchair users and visitors with reduced mobility, the Neuschwanstein Castle Administration offers the opportunity to take part in a regular guided tour of the castle by means of an elevator. For further information for mobility-impaired guests, please click here…
Group tours only on written request: firstname.lastname@example.org
Neuschwanstein castle is open as follows:
► Winter opening time: October 16th, 2022 to March 31st, 2023
daily between 10 a.m. - 4 p.m.
► Summer opening time: April 01st, 2023 to October 15th, 2023
daily between 9 a.m. - 6 p.m.
Neuschwanstein Castle is closed on December 24th, 25th and 31st and January 1st.
The following languages are offered:
- German and English speaking guide.
- Portable audio guide device: French, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Dutch, Hungarian, Czech, Slovenian, Polish, Greek, Hebrew, Russian, Arabian, Japanese, Mandarin, Korean and Thai.
All tours take place with a guide.
Additional, detailed information about visiting Neuschwanstein Castle can be found here on the website of the Bavarian Palace Administration
For the tariff regulations for Neuschwanstein Castle, please click here...
The Bavarian Palace Department informs…
Restoration work is currently being carried out inside the Neuschwanstein castle. This unavoidably could produce a bit of noise, just as in some areas signs of the ongoing work will be visible. Due to the work, some signs of the walls will not be visible and of course we have had to temporarily move the textiles from the rooms where work is being done. The restaurantion work is expected to last until Spring 2024.
From the calendar year 2023 onwards, it will not be possible to visit all the rooms of the royal apartment as part of a guided tour. The main rooms such as the throne toom and the singer‘s hall remain unaffected by this.
The multivision room and the lift are available again.