Hohenschwangau Castle was mentioned the first time in records of the 12th century.
Until the 16th century its owners were the knights of Schwangau. During the following time it changed hands a couple of times and was partially destroyed during different wars.
In 1832 the later King Maximilian II., father of King Ludwig II., acquired the ruin and had the castle rebuilt according to original plans. After its completion it used to be the summer and hunting residence of the Bavarian royal family. In his whole life, the famous Bavarian King Ludwig II. spent a few weeks each summer in Hohenschwangau.
Since 1928 the Wilttelsbacher Ausgleichsfonds owns Hohenschwangau Castle.
The largest room in Hohenschwangau Castle is the banquet hall, which is also called “the hall of the heroes”. The paintings show different scenes of the Wilkina Saga and its hero Dietrich von Bern.
The “oriental room” used to be the bedroom of Queen Mary, the mother of King Ludwig II. King Maximilian II had this room furnished after his return of his journey through Turkey and Greece in 1832/1833.
The "Berchta-Room" was the writing room of Queen Mary. Surrounded by beautiful panted ornaments, the murals tell the Bavarian version of the legend about the birth of Charlemagne.